About MATLAB® Analysis and Visualizations Inside ThingSpeak
ThingSpeak enables you to schedule and run MATLAB code using a version of MATLAB that MathWorks hosts in the cloud. You do not need a MATLAB license to run MATLAB within the ThingSpeak web service.
If you have a MATLAB license, you can also import your data from ThingSpeak into your desktop MATLAB session for offline analysis using the ThingSpeak Support Toolbox.
The MATLAB code that you can run within the ThingSpeak environment is limited to functions provided by MATLAB. Functions provided by add-on toolboxes are not supported at this time.
You can use MATLAB code and visualizations within ThingSpeak with some limitations on frequency and update rate:
- A TimeControl can schedule a MATLAB Analysis to execute no faster than 5-minute intervals.
- MATLAB Visualizations (plots) added to a channel are updated after 10 minutes.
Additional limitations that produce an error are:
- For Standard and Academic license use types, code in the MATLAB Analysis app or the MATLAB Visualizations app that takes longer than 60 seconds to execute in the cloud produces an error. For all other license use types, including free users, code in the MATLAB Analysis app or the MATLAB Visualizations app that takes longer than 20 seconds to execute in the cloud produces an error.
- For Standard, Academic, Home and Student license types, code in the MATLAB Analysis app or the MATLAB Visualizations app that writes data to a channel at a rate faster than every second produces an error. For users of the free option, code in the MATLAB Analysis app or the MATLAB Visualizations app that writes data to a channel at a rate faster than once every 15 seconds produces an error.
- Code in the MATLAB Analysis app that contains visualization functions produces an error.
New ThingSpeak users must create a ThingSpeak account. If you already have a MathWorks Account, you can login with your MathWorks Account.